One of the hardest things to do is market for new apartment construction. Unfortunately, getting a new community up to speed and fully running can be even more difficult, especially during the lease-up phase. There are several reasons why this is the case. Here are just a few:
- The market is extremely limited – it has geography, price, and the potential lack of desire with regards to people who may or may not be looking for a place to live during the lease-up phase of your community.
- The level of risk that exists because of the cost of building the community itself.
- The pressure to acquire residents who rent at particular price points is very real.
How is online marketing done for new apartment developments?
- Organic traffic which comes through from Bing, Google, or Yahoo
- Paid traffic from the ads on the top portion and sides of Bing, Google, or Yahoo
- Traffic which is referred from Craigslist
- Traffic which comes from social channels such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Google+, etc.,
- Traffic which comes directly from the users who enter your URL into the top bar of their internet browser
Traffic which comes organically and from various social medias will take time to build up. MultiFamily Traffic can speed up the process by getting the new development ranked high in the search engines for the top searched keywords. We also help by sending social signals that give the property a lift on sites like Facebook and Twitter.
A search engine utilizes crawlers which will detect your site and determine in their own way whether or not it can be trusted. As you work to keep your site up over time with a record of consistently hosting content which is good, you will earn more trust from the search engines. As you gain this trust, your domain can grow and you can experience higher rankings with added traffic to your site. In this way, organic searches can, and will, become one of the most valuable traffic generators for your site. That simply will not happen right away or even ever if you do not partner with an expert like MultiFamily Traffic that will assign a dedicated team to work on your rankings day in and day out. .
There is little reason for the average person to simply follow a complex on Facebook or Twitter unless they are actively looking for apartments.
Communities will need to rely on marketing that occurs the instant someone is qualified rather than overall interest-based marketing. Normally, social media is not an incredibly valuable channel for apartment communities when considering their avenues of marketing.
Traffic from Craigslist and Google AdWords work very differently from Social Media. These avenues of advertising do not normally take a large amount of time to build into real streams of traffic. The response you receive from your first time posting will likely be just as hefty as your 100th time, so there is little skill involved.
AdWords requires more skill than Craigslist, but you will find it has a much higher output in terms of the kind of response you can receive from your first time posting. MultiFamily Traffic has an entire team of analysts that will write your AdWords ads, select target keywords and place the ads for you at a fraction of what it would cost to do it yourself.
To summarize, your marketing strategy out of the gate will need to consist of the following:
- You’ll need a website which has been optimized for search engine use. Your title tags will need to be (your community’s name) Apartments in (your city, your state).
- Your site will need to be HTTPS ready.
- Your site will need to be friendly for mobile devices.
- You need to have high quality visual content available for display on your site.
- You need to begin posting regularly on Craigslist with some very high quality photos. You need text with your site URL in your postings. Don’t worry about not being able to tell people to copy/paste the link, or that it doesn’t hyperlink for them automatically on Craiglist. Simply put it there and they will come.
- You need to create a paid account on Google AdWords or partner with a professional team like MultiFamily Traffic.
By following these steps, you’ll be placing yourself in a quality position for both short term and long term success. AdWords and Craigslist can give a good amount of initial traffic. MultiFamily Traffic’s organic traffic programs will likely pick up as a result within a few months. Once you’ve got organic traffic coming to your site, you should really begin to see results as the two types of traffic often complement each other very well.
While there is no short cut to achieving marketing success for your apartment communities, if you want to generate real leads you simply need to partner with someone that will put in real work. You’ll need content which is floorplan-specific, a website that is fully optimized, and knowledge of Google Adwords or an AdWords pro like MultiFamily Traffic.
For more information on how we can help your apartments get leased call us today at 888-683-5885 or www.multifamilytraffic.com