Technology and business experts have long theorized that all businesses now need to have an online presence. With the online community growing larger everyday, and using the internet for more and more purposes, a business that doesn’t have some form of an online presence is missing a large piece of their marketing strategy. While many people think experts are simply talking about retail businesses, they are not. Apartment complexes also need to have an online presence. In fact, it is rare to find a community that is not online, or, at the very least, has an ILS.
Of course there are exceptions to that. There are certain industries that thrive on social media because that is where their biggest audience is. For example, you might look for a restaurant using Yelp or Facebook. The housing market, however, is not one of those exceptions. According to a recent study all housing searches start on a search engine, not on social media.
Facebook is an outfit that suits business that have a lot of content to share, and apartment communities don’t have a ton of new content to share with users. Yes, they can share updates, or create memes, but beyond that, there is little evergreen content in the apartment community sector.
Another option is blogging. Yes, blogging is a great option for business that are looking generate organic content with usable information. Theoretically this could work for apartment communities. If you are looking to generate organic traffic, you can create a blog that shares apartment tips and tricks, community events and holiday information. Again this could work, but it is timely, and building up a blog’s clout can be a long and tedious process. You like don’t have the time and resources for it, and success can be hit or miss.
In the world of apartment communities, creating a search engine optimized website simply is more efficient and effective, than working tirelessly to build a social media presence. Don’t get us wrong, yes your community SHOULD have a Facebook page. Yes, it is important to update social media with information, but it should not be the cornerstone of your online marketing campaign.
With all that being said we went ahead and decided to test out the theory that search engine optimization is the best suited tactic for getting an apartment communities website noticed. We looked at hard data from a plethora of apartment community websites. We took the data from dozens of communities across the country and did a quick study. What we found proves that search engine optimization is the most important puzzle piece to web traffic for apartment complex websites.
First we looked at about 500,000 unique web visits. Of those unique hits, over half of the visits were from organic searches. An additional 100,000 hits were attributed to paid searches. Our findings suggest that about 70% of all traffic to apartment community websites is attributed to search engines. That number is pretty high, but there is more. Our software didn’t allow us to search direct traffic. So, the real percentage is probably slightly higher. Conservatively you could argue that about 75% of all web traffic to these websites came from search engines. That leaves just 25% to be spread across a gaggle of social media sites.
The Best Strategy for Apartment Communities
So, what does all this mean? Simply put, our research has shown, time-and-time again, that search engine optimization is still how most people find apartment community websites. Yes, there are business sectors that excel on social media, but apartment communities is simply not one of those sectors. That’s not a bad thing, though, in fact its a great piece of information to have. A strong SEO strategy, coupled with paid search advertising, can quickly and effectively put your community on the map.